Sunday, May 23, 2004

Small Business Profile

Small Business Profile: "Caspian Rug Co.

LOCATION: 5675 Jimmy Carter Blvd., Norcross. A second location will open soon in Alpharetta.
WEB: www.caspianrug.com
PHONE: 770-448-0034
SIZE: 15,000-square-foot showroom.
What They Do: Imported, hand-knotted oriental rugs priced from $500 to $50,000. Caspian offers a selection of new rugs and some antiques as old as 100 years.
MAJOR PLAYERS: Brothers Masoud and Behrouz Pirouz
EMPLOYEES: 12
FOUNDED: 1987. The Pirouz brothers are natives of Iran, a country whose craftsmen have been known as masters of rug-making for centuries. However, the original idea behind Caspian Rug Co. did not grow from the owners� admiration of rugs as an art form.
�Behrouz has an MBA and we wanted to do something together,� said Masoud. �We are Persian, so it made sense to import Persian rugs. Part of our success is because we made this a business and treated it as a business, rather than being led by the emotional love of the rug. But after a while, you get to like them.�
The brothers put their money together and opened Caspian Rug Company, named for the Caspian Sea whose shores border Iran.
�The richest sea in the world,� said Masoud.
For more than a year Masoud continued to work full-time as a mechanical design engineer putting the rest of his waking hours into Caspian Rug Co.
�It took all my time. I was working 90 hours per week,� he said. �I decided I had to choose which job I was going to do and I really had no choice. I could either work for others or run my business and protect the money I had invested.�
After a few months operating from a store front in Buckhead, Caspian Rug Co. appeared to have found its market in Norcross. Located inside a mall on busy Jimmy Carter Boulevard just off I-85"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home